What does it take to establish and sustain a creative practice?
Over the course of three days in May 2022, 40 YoungArts award winners across 10 disciplines gathered virtually to explore essential questions around the creative process and focus on new tools and concepts for their own artistic practices.
Led by Torya Beard, Darren Biggart, Ayodele Casel and Peter Lerman, participants were invited to consider the common thread among artists who consistently create work that expresses their vision: a commitment to a well developed and personalized process. By shifting focus away from a finished piece or public showing, artists were able to center ideas like experimentation, collaboration and inspiration.
Through interactive sessions, master classes with Raja Feather Kelly, Lisa Kron and Ariel Osterweis and conversations, participants grew their commitment to and understanding of “the process” and made steps toward a deeper artistic practice and network of collaborators.
Brandon Dumlao/Subculture Filmworks, editor
More on the YoungArts Blog:
- Mark Fleuridor’s Homage to Home
- Home: Reimagining Interiority
- Permission to Create: Five YoungArts Award Winners on Sustaining Their Creative Practice
- Watch: Shamel Pitts’ Touch of RED
- Watch: YoungArts + Aon Interdisciplinary Collaborations: Javon Jackson+Nikki Giovanni with YoungArts Winners in Jazz and Writing